Your baby’s skin is sensitive and prone to dryness. Very dry and irritated patches of skin are common, especially in the diaper area and on your baby’s cheeks. Gentle and effective skincare, using products clinically and dermatologically proven to be kind on your baby’s dry skin, will help to support skin regeneration and leave your baby’s skin smooth and soft.
Caring for baby’s skin How can I treat areas of very dry skin on my baby?
What causes baby’s skin to dry out?
Skin works hard to protect the body: to keep external irritants out and to support skin’s natural balance of moisture. A baby’s skin is thinner than adult skin so it’s more delicate and its natural barrier function is not fully developed. As well as being more sensitive and susceptible to irritation, it loses moisture more easily and so is prone to dryness.
A baby’s skin is particularly sensitive to changes in external temperature which can further exacerbate dryness causing skin to progress quickly from dry to very dry. You can read more in understanding skin at different ages and baby and children’s skin.
When dryness is accompanied by intense itchiness your baby may have Atopic Dermatitis. Often known as Eczema, it’s the most common skin disease in children and you can read more about it in Atopic Dermatitis in babies and children.
Patches of irritated skin often appear on baby’s bottom and are commonly known as ‘diaper rash’. Diaper rash isn’t related to Atopic Dermatitis (the area is too moist for it to develop) and can have a few different causes:
- The diaper rubbing and chafing baby’s skin
- Fungal or bacterial infection: baby’s skin reacting to the contents of their diaper
- Baby’s skin reacting to the material their diaper is made of or the ingredients in their baby wipes or cleanser
Many babies also experience Cradle Cap (the medical term for which is Seborrheic Dermatitis) in the first few weeks after birth. This is typified by crusty and scaly patches on their scalp or eyebrows but they’re normally greasy rather than dry.
How should I care for my baby’s dry and sensitive skin?
A gentle daily routine that supports baby’s natural skin barrier is the best way to alleviate dry skin and prevent further dryness. Choose products that are clinically and dermatologically proven to be suitable for delicate infant skin:
- Gentle cleansing: Bath time is an important bonding time for baby and parent. Use lukewarm water (rather than water that is too hot or too cold which can cause further moisture loss), limit the time spent bathing and choose a mild, soap-free cleanser such as Eucerin AtopiControl Bath and Shower Oil.
- Moisturizing care: It’s important to moisturize your baby’s body immediately after cleansing to prevent further evaporation of water from their skin. You may well find that once a day is not sufficient and particularly dry and irritated areas, such as on your baby’s cheeks or around their diaper, are likely to need more frequent care. Eucerin Aquaphor Repairing Ointment is an ideal moisturizer for baby’s dry skin and can be applied as often as needed.
- Superior protection: Keep your baby out of the sun. If some indirect exposure is inevitable, and they are over three months old, apply a suitable sunscreen from the Eucerin Kids range to protect their delicate skin from harmful rays and further dryness.
If your baby has Atopic Dermatitis then you can read more about how to care for their skin in how to care for young atopic skin.
Areas of very dry skin are common on babies especially on their cheeks and around the diaper where ‘diaper rash’ often occurs and where the sides of diapers can chafe baby’s skin causing dryness and irritation.
Effective care for baby’s dry skin
Eucerin Aquaphor Repairing Ointment has been specially formulated to give baby’s dry and irritated skin the care it needs. It contains only a few ingredients and is fragrance- and preservative-free making it ideal for sensitive young skin. It forms a gentle semi-occlusive protective barrier on the skin which supports the natural transfer of water vapor and oxygen to and from your baby’s skin. The formula contains Glycerin – an effective moisturizing ingredient that attracts water and helps to keep it in the skin. Glycerin works alongside Panthenol which helps to speed up regeneration and repair whilst also moisturizing skin. The formula is clinically and dermatologically proven to repair very dry, cracked and irritated skin. It cares for your baby’s fragile skin leaving it soft and smooth.
Easy to use
Eucerin Aquaphor Repairing Ointment is available in a range of formats and sizes so it’s easy to have a pot by baby’s changing table and/or to carry a tube around in your changing bag.
The soothing, transparent ointment is easy to apply to localized problem areas without being easily rubbed off. You may also find that you need less than you think. Just a fingertip of product can be enough to cover the dry skin on your baby’s face and neck. You can use it as often as needed on your baby’s skin. It shouldn’t be applied to open, weeping or bleeding wounds.