Body hygiene and body care are key to our overall health and wellbeing. Quality skincare products will help you to cleanse and care for the skin on your body and protect it from damaging external influences such as the sun and hot and cold climates. They can also be used to calm disturbed skin and treat any concerns that you may have. A good skincare routine helps to restore your skin’s natural balance and keep it looking and feeling healthy.
LOOKING AFTER THE SKIN ON YOUR BODY
There are three basic steps to caring for the skin on your body: cleanse, care and protect.
Find out more about looking after facial skin in a daily skincare routine for the face.
ALL ABOUT CLEANSING THE BODY
The fundamental reason for body cleansing is to remove dirt and sweat to keep skin clean and healthy and prevent unpleasant body odour. Showers and baths also play an important role in our overall wellbeing, helping us to feel refreshed, reinvigorated and relaxed.
How to cleanse
A strong awareness of hygiene, combined with today’s active lifestyles, has increased the frequency of cleansing. Over-exposure to water, as well as to harsh cleansing products, can dry out skin and weaken its barrier function. The following cleansing suggestions will help to keep skin healthy:
- Reduce bath time and water temperature: Hot water and long showers or baths remove oils from the skin.
- Choose a cleanser that is gentle on skin.
- Pat rather than rub skin dry so that it retains some moisture (oil based products are most effective when applied to damp skin).
- Moisturise well after cleansing.
How to choose an appropriate cleanser
Choose a body wash or cleanser that:
- will be gentle on your skin and will not dry it out
- has a pH value that corresponds to that of healthy skin
- contains lipid replenishing components. This not only compensates for lost lipids, but ensures that fewer lipids are lost during cleansing
- has been formulated for your specific skin type and concern
- has been thoroughly tested and is, ideally, compatible with sensitive skin
Eucerin offers a range of gentle but thorough body cleansers to suit all skin types. Read more in Eucerin pH5 Washlotion
ALL ABOUT CARING FOR THE SKIN ON YOUR BODY
Care products shall hydrate and replenish skin, preventing it from drying out. Moisturising your skin not only increases its water content, but protects it and encourages orderly desquamation (the process by which skin sheds dead cells) leaving it feeling smooth, soft and comfortable.
Care products can also be used to target and treat specific skin concerns. For example, very dry skin is caused by the fact that the skin’s barrier function is impaired. Care products can help to address this concern by restoring missing lipids to help repair the skin.
How to care
Care products should be applied after cleansing as cleansed skin is better able to absorb the active ingredients. Regular moisturisation after bathing will help to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
Which care products are right for my body?
Choose a body moisturiser that:
- has been formulated for your specific skin type.
- targets any specific concerns that you may have such as Atopic Dermatitis.
- has been thoroughly tested and, ideally, is proven to be compatible with sensitive skin.
Eucerin offers a range of body moisturisers to suit all skin types all of which have been tested on and proven to be compatible with sensitive skin. Read more in Eucerin AQUAporin ACTIVE, Eucerin Complete Repair, Eucerin pH5 and Eucerin AtopiControl.
The structure of our skin differs slightly according to where it is on our body. Different parts of our body are also treated differently and receive different levels of exposure to external forces. As a result, some areas of the body such as our hands, feet, armpits and scalp benefit from particular care and dedicated products. Read more in skin on different parts of the body.
Skin benefits from special care after it has been exposed to the sun. After Sun Lotions can help to cool and regenerate sun-stressed skin.